Looking for a place to check e-mail, surf the Net, or do last minute research...
Wireless Internet access (WiFi) has been implemented throughout the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative. Use your wireless enabled device (laptop or PDA) to gain access to the Internet for web browsing and eMail. Access is not open to all Internet ports. Please be certain your use is restricted to basic web-browsing. Use for or need of specialized ports for SMTP, Remote Desktop, Corporate Intranets, etc are not provided for on our wired or wireless connection.
WiFi is FREE and available at all full service library locations:
Network Identifier or SSID: HCPLC-Library
Enter the SSID above into your wi-fi configuration making sure that encryption is turned off or not enabled.
- Is device wireless (Wi-Fi) capable. Blue Tooth technology is NOT Wi-Fi.
- Is the wireless card or built-in technology (Centrino) turned on?
- Is the device in "default" configuration such that it will pick up any broadcast?
- Are other wireless networks overriding ours? Our SSID broadcasts as "HCPLC-Library". Is this the network you are connected to?
- Is the device locked down (Windows FW, wireless, wireless protection via Zone Alarm or Air Defense) or is wireless access disabled?
- Are you attempting to access a resource on a non-standard port? Standard ports are web (80) and limited access on other ports (8000 and 8080) for example. If you are trying to access SMTP, Remote Desktop, Corporate Intranets, etc. the library does not provide open port access.
Printing is not available using the library's wireless connection. To access a printer, signup to use the library's public Internet workstations.
The library utilizes Ruckus Wireless Zoneflex devices to connect to our public network. This device is compatible with 802.11b & 802.11g standards. The security you enjoy on our public network will also protect your wireless connection. However, data transfers between your laptop or PDA and the WAP are insecure. We suggest you install or implement the native firewall in Windows XP/Vista or some other third party program to insure secure communication and data transfer. The library bears no responsibility for presumed hacking or personal security breaches. Use of the wireless network is at your risk.