James Johnson, Jr., Chair
 
900 North Ashley Drive
Tampa, Florida 33602
James Martin, Jr., Vice-Chair
William Scheuerle, Secretary
 
Phone: (813) 273-3660
Fax: (813) 273-3707

Tampa-Hillsborough Public Library Board

MINUTES FROM THE SEPTEMBER 27, 2001 PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
JIMMIE B. KEEL REGIONAL LIBRARY, 4-6pm

CALL TO ORDER:

Dr. Scheuerle called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.

ROLL CALL AND ATTENDANCE OF STAFF & SPECIAL GUESTS:

Library Board Members Present:
Bill Scheuerle, Sandra Cameron
Anniece Ross, Dora Reeder
Helen Swisshelm, Kay O'Rourke
Mary Silver, Laura J. Vickers

Library Board Excused:
Alma Hires

Library Board Absent:
Margaret Fisher, Mary Sherman

Library Staff Present:
Joe Stines, Director of Libraries
Marcee Challener, Manager Public Service
David Wullschleger, Manager Operations & Technology
Linda Gillon, Manager Staff & Administrative Support

Suzanne George, Facilities Coordinator
Barbara Marquette, Administrative Assistant
Jackie Zebos, Administrative Librarian

 

Special Guests:
Assistant County Attorney, Linda Davidson
Mike Kelly, Director, Real Estate Department
Israel Grajales, Architectural Services
Swati Bose, Architectural Services

Members of the Public:
Maureen Gauzza, President, Friends of Upper Tampa Bay Library
Pat Pekala, Treasurer, Friends of the Upper Tampa Bay Library

APPROVAL OF THE AUGUST 23, 2001 MINUTES

Minutes were approved with the following corrections: Sandra Cameron and Kay O'Rourke are Co-Chairs of the Planning Committee and meeting locations will be added to the heading of the minutes. The "LP" listed on the Internet Usage Report stands for Language Preference and will be spelled out in the future.

Dr. Scheuerle stated that there was a mistake in the September 26, 2001 Carrollwood News article. Copies were distributed to the Board members; the article stated that the Library Board would vote on the Upper Tampa Bay site at this meeting. The Board did not plan to vote on this issue at this meeting. Dr. Scheuerle stated that the Board would discuss during the meeting, the need to visit the sites and hold a Special Call meeting similar to the one held in South Brandon.

CHAIRMAN'S REPORT

None.

PRESENTATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC/SPECIAL GUESTS:

Pat Pekala, Treasurer, Friends of the Upper Tampa Bay Library, stated that a public meeting had been held on May 21, 2001 and that the overwhelming majority of the attendees had voted for the Terrabrook site. Ms. Pekala felt that there was no need for any additional public meetings.

Maureen Gauzza, President, Friends of the Upper Tampa Bay Library, stated that there was a public meeting held on March 13, 2001 and that a second public meeting had been held on May 21, 2001. Ms. Gauzza also stated that the residents are against having a library on Race Track Rd. because of the traffic that will be generated by the Ed Radice Park and new developments in the area.

Mr. Stines stated that library administration has not requested another public siting meeting. There have been two, and we are required to have only one. What the Chairman is referring to is a "Specially Called Library Board" meeting focused on this topic. The BOCC is expecting a traffic study be performed on all recommended sites and the earliest a traffic study could be completed is late October.

Ms. Gauzza is concerned that delays in approving a site will affect the funding schedule. Swati Bose, Architectural Services stated that the funding for this project has been approved by the BOCC and that the completion dates are projections not actual deadlines. She further stated that the funding is in no way imperiled.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

PLANNING COMMITTEE:

Ms. Cameron stated that the committee has not met. Ms. O'Rourke stated that the Library Board would be conducting a driving tour of the Upper Tampa Bay sites on Wednesday, October 3 at 2:00 p.m. and invited the audience to participate.

BUDGET COMMITTEE:

Ms. Swisshelm stated that the Library's budget had been approved by the BOCC without change. Anniece Ross commented that the format of the requests enabled the BOCC to turn the request into a motion for approval and the data supported the recommendations.

Ms. Swisshelm stated that the Board should be very vigilant and prudent in the future. She cannot foresee the Board going back to the BOCC with other project requests. Mr. Stines stated that the Revenue Estimating Committee has met in Tallahassee and almost everyone who receives state funding may be losing from 1 to 3 percent in 2002 and possibly not in 2003.

POLICIES & BYLAWS COMMITTEE:

Ms. Ross stated that the committee has drafted the Procedures for the Alcohol Use Policy but there has been no further discussion. Mr. Stines stated that both the BOCC and the Tampa City Council had approved a resolution, effective September 20, 2001, to rename the Peninsular Library the Charles J. Fendig Public Library. A renaming ceremony is being planned for early November.

INTERNET USE SUBCOMMITTEE:

None.

SCHEDULING ADHOC COMMITTEE:

Dr. Scheuerle appointed an ad hoc committee named the Scheduling Committee consisting of the Library Board Committee chairs. A meeting will be held at the John F. Germany Public Library on Monday, October 8th at noon in the Library Board Room to establish a meeting calendar for October 2001 through June 2002.

PUBLIC ART:

None.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

Mike Kelly, Director of Real Estate, presented information regarding the site located on Countryway Blvd. in Westchase. He outlined the terms of the contract, the total site would be 7.6 acres, 5.8 acres would be acquired from the developer, and during research it was discovered that Hillsborough County owns a 1.8-acre piece of land adjacent to this site. The price negotiated is $700,000. Appraisals on the 5.8 acres came in at approximately $950,000 and $1 million. Special terms of the transaction are:

  • Hillsborough County and the developer would exchange property.

  • The developer is requiring that the transaction be closed by December 31st.

    Dr. Scheuerle asked whether this would be a problem should the BOCC approve the Board's recommendation by November 15th. Mr. Kelly stated we would have time, but if we delayed beyond that it could jeopardize the transaction.

  • Hillsborough County would take title subject to the Community Development District's (CDD) adjustments. Mr. Kelly stated that the Library would be required to pay the remaining debt service on this library site. That debt service is approximately $30,800 per acre with two ways of making payment, by annual assessment, over an eleven-year period which, is the remaining term of the debt. The annual payment is $4,475 per acre equaling $374,110 over the eleven-year term. A more economical way to deal with it would be to pay it through a pre-payment process. This in essence means one payment and avoids the interest for eleven years, that payment would be $234,000. The difference between the two payment methods is approximately $140,000.

Mr. Kelly stated that when this development was built there was infrastructure put into place and the cost of that infrastructure is spread out over the development. Dr. Scheuerle asked where the money would come from. Mr. Kelly stated that it would come from the project budget. Ms. Ross asked what the project budget was. Mr. Stines responded that the project budget is $3.6 million, which includes books, furniture, etc. The $234,000 would have to come from the $3.6 million in addition to any money that was donated. Mr. Stines clarified that when County staff states the budget is $3.6 million, their approach to a grant would be that it would become part of the total budget not an additional sum.

Mr. Kelly stated that there is an additional annual cost for operating and maintenance of $8,223 per acre equaling $62,500 annually. There are representations that this fee could be waived. However, the County would have to petition for a waiver, and it is likely that it would have to be done on an annual basis. Dr. Scheuerle asked whether the County was currently paying the CDD on the 1.8 acres. Mr. Kelly stated that this acreage was a right of way and that the developer was not previously aware that the County owned that property. Dr. Scheuerle then asked, "If the property is a right of way then why do we have to pay an assessment on the 7.6 acres instead of the 5.8?" Mr. Kelly responded that he had posed that question to the managers of the CDD, and stated that it is a gray area and could not assure the Board that it would be excluded. The CDD would probably base the assessment on the full 7.6 acres.

Mr. Sewell, representing Westchase, explained what the assessment covered. "All users within Westchase enjoy the maintenance of the common areas. There is a way of taking the budget to maintain the common areas allocating the maintenance on the use whether it is residential, commercial, or multi-family and every use has a predetermined calculation based on the traffic impact and equivalent residential unit. The CDD maintains certain areas and owns certain areas."

Mr. Kelly stated that a second issue regarding the site is to improve the access over the original proposal. Because of the ownership of the right of way, Architectural Services will be able to move the access to the property to a better location. If an additional site were acquired, they would attempt to improve this access even more. During preliminary discussions the owners of the additional property indicated verbally that they would cooperate with the County.

The Library Board had also asked Mr. Kelly to contact the owners of the Lynn Haber site. This site is available. Mr. Kelly's office has not had the opportunity to do a detailed analysis.

Mr. Weber representing Lynn Haber, has advised Mr. Kelly via e-mail that within the proposed development there are two sites available known as A & B which are under contract purchase. This contract is subject to rezoning. Mr. Lynn has fee simple title to site C.

Mr. Stines addressed Ms. Gauzza's question regarding the public siting requirements and whether one or more of the sites presented at this meeting were presented at the previous public siting meeting. Susan Fernandez, Assistant County Attorney, stated that the Public Siting Policy is a BOCC policy, and that she would review the minutes of the meeting. She also stated that in order to establish that all the sites are represented to the public, the Library Board may want to call another public siting meeting.

Dr. Scheuerle asked for clarification, "If we don't have another siting meeting, then the only two sites we'll be able to consider are the Countryway site and the Bill Bishop site?" Ms. Bose stated that there was another site discussed that evening. Mr. Stines agreed that it was not discussed in detail but the Lynn Haber sites were noted and comments were made by the public. Dr. Scheuerle then asked, "Are there two or three sites?" Mr. Stines responded that there are actually four sites for the Board to consider. Mr. Kelly listed them: 1) Lesley Land; 2) Countryway/Westchase; 3) Lynn-Haber - Site B; and 4) Lynn-Haber - Site C.

Ms. Vickers asked if there was detailed information available on all of the sites similar to that which was distributed at the meeting. Dr. Scheuerle stated that it was not currently available but that it would be. Mr. Kelly stated that he would have more information as soon as the negotiations were completed.

Dr. Scheuerle made the motion that the order of business be changed to hear from the owners/developers present at the meeting. Ms. Ross stated that she would like to hear a brief presentation from the developers. Motion passed unanimously.

Mr. Andrew Lynn (Site B & C) stated that he has three lots located at Race Track Rd. and Countryway, all of which would be suitable for a library. He has also contracted to purchase the forty acres across from Lynn-Mar, which has Nine Eagles and Race Track Rd. frontage. Dr. Scheuerle asked whether these properties were CDD funded. Mr. Lynn responded no. Mr. Stines asked, "Would the property at the corner of Countryway and Racetrack Rd. or any of those lots have access from Countryway as well as from Race Track Rd.?" Mr. Lynn responded that they presently do not access Countryway, but they open onto Lynn-Mar Blvd. that leads to the industrial park.

Mr. Brian Sewell (Terrabrook) stated that Westchase has a town center and has over three thousand homes. He has looked at alternatives for developing the site, and would work with the Board to reduce the price as much as his company would allow. Also, the property is very accessible to the Countryway neighborhood and has a residential feel.

Dr. Scheuerle asked, "When could the Board have the traffic and stormwater information that is needed and possibly a public meeting or a siting/voting meeting?" Mr. Stines responded that Mike McCarthy, Traffic Engineer, would not be able to have a report to the board until late October, which would require the Library Board to call a special meeting in early November. Mr. Stines also stated that after discussions with Mr. Kelly they felt that stormwater was not an issue for these properties. Dr. Scheuerle asked, "What is the latest date that a recommendation could be taken to the BOCC?" Ms. Davidson replied the BOCC meetings are November 7 or a half day meeting on November 21.

The Board will present a recommendation to the BOCC at their November 7 meeting. This will allow the Board to review the sites and the traffic report.

Ms. Cameron made the motion to direct Mike Kelly to begin negotiations with Lynn Haber Developers for Site C. Helen Swisshelm seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

It was the consensus of the Board to hold a voting/siting meeting on November 5 at 6:00 p.m. (site to be determined) for public comment on the four sites.

Marcee Challener, Public Service Manager, presented a statistics workshop for the Board explaining the new format. The Board will review the new format and comment at the next meeting. Ms. Ross asked that staff tie data to the Library's mission statement and long range plan and that trends be plotted graphically.

Mr. Stines announced that the Architectural Review Committee would be reviewing the West Tampa Library at their meeting on Wednesday, October 3 at 5:30 p.m. Ms. Reeder asked that staff coordinate neighborhood meetings before construction was started.

NEW BUSINESS:

None.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT:

None.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

None.

ADJOURNMENT:

The meeting was adjourned at 6:00pm

Next Library Board Meeting:
         Date: October 25, 2001
         Time: 4pm-6pm
         Location: John F. Germany Public Library

                 - Unless notified otherwise


Hillsborough County Comments | Contact Us | THPL.org | HCPLC.org
© Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Member: Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative


Site established: March 15, 1995  |  Page revised: June 30, 2014