James Johnson, Jr., Chair
 
900 North Ashley Drive
Tampa, Florida 33602
James Martin, Jr., Vice-Chair
William Scheuerle, Secretary
 
Phone: (813) 273-3660
Fax: (813) 273-3707

Tampa-Hillsborough Public Library Board

MINUTES FROM THE FEBRUARY 28, 2002 PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
TEMPLE TERRACE PUBLIC LIBRARY, 4-6PM

CALL TO ORDER:

Dr. Scheuerle called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.

ROLL CALL AND ATTENDANCE OF STAFF & SPECIAL GUESTS:

Library Board Members Present:
William Scheuerle, Helen Swisshelm
Sandra Cameron, Kay O'Rourke
Dora Reeder, Anniece Ross
Mary Silver, Alma Hires
Margaret Fisher

Library Board Excused:
Mary Sherman, Laura Vickers

Library Board Absent:


Library Staff Present:
Joe Stines, Director of Libraries
Marcee Challener, Manager Public Service
David Wullschleger, Manager Operations & Technology
Linda Gillon, Manager Staff & Administrative Support
Maurice Site, Chief Librarian, Planning and Analysis
Sheryl Herold, Accountant

Assistant County Attorney, Linda Davidson
Jackie Zebos, Administrative Services
Barbara Marquette, Administrative Assistant

 

Special Guests:

None

Members of the Public:

None

APPROVAL OF THE JANUARY 24, 2002 MINUTES

Sandra Cameron made the motion to accept the minutes as written. Alma Hires seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

CHAIRMAN'S REPORT

None.

PRESENTATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC/SPECIAL GUESTS:

None.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

The Planning and Budget Committee meetings were rescheduled from Tuesday, March 26 to Wednesday, March 27. Budget Committee will meet at 2:30 p.m. and the Planning Committee will meet at 4:00 p.m. at the Jimmie B. Keel Regional Library.

    PLANNING COMMITTEE:

    Sandra Cameron and Kay O'Rourke, Co-Chairs, reported that the committee met on February 19 and discussed the Capital Projects Quarterly Update, and the boundaries for the North Tampa Branch. Ms. O'Rourke stated that the committee feels that this is a most important project and that several provocative suggestions were made.

    Ms. O'Rourke stated that she had met with the Public Art Committee regarding the Jimmie B. Keel Regional Library. Her first idea was that one of the niches in the foyer be reserved for Keel Family memorabilia and artifacts. Ms. Reeder has been asked to work with the family. Another meeting is scheduled for March.

    Dr. Scheuerle stated that the Planning Committee would like to meet with the Friends of the North Tampa Library and other appropriate staff to discuss relocation options. Mr. Stines stated that Real Estate would make a presentation to the Board regarding possible sites and other options as soon as that information is available.

    Mr. Stines stated that his schedule has prohibited him from attending the Planning Committee meetings and since the revisions to the Unmet Capital Funded List are due on March 25 this item has to be addressed on the Board's March agenda.

    BUDGET COMMITTEE:

    Helen Swisshelm, Chair, reported that the Budget Committee met on February 19 at the Jimmie B. Keel Library. Sheryl Herold, Accountant, reviewed the proposed budget report format comparing the old with the new. She explained the Reappropriation process that happens at the end of the fiscal year. The month of September stays open longer to accommodate late invoices and year end adjustments. The Department then carries over the previous year's budget that is encumbered. The Budget Office and the Board of County Commissioners approve the rollover funds. The Committee recommended that the Board adopt the new budget format. The Board voted unanimously to accept the new report format.

    The Budget Committee is beginning a study of the unclassified positions of the library. The next Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for March 26, 2002, at 2:30 p.m. at the Jimmie B. Keel Regional Library.

    POLICIES & BYLAWS COMMITTEE:

    Anniece Ross, Chair, reported that the Board had received an "action item" in their mailing for the approval of the Bylaws. Ms. Ross asked if there were any questions? Ms. Cameron asked whether the statement in Article II, Section 6 "simple majority" meant the total of members present or the full board. Linda Davidson stated that she interpreted it to mean the majority of the appointed members. It was changed to read "a simple majority of the membership." Ms. Cameron made the motion to approve the Bylaws with corrections. Ms. Reeder seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

    Dr. Alma Hires reviewed with the Board Article III Duties, c and d of the Bylaws.

    1. Recommend to the County Administrator the appointment and removal of the Director of Library Services.
    2. Assist the Department of Library Services in the evaluation of its operations.

    Ms. Ross asked Mr. Stines how the Board might be of assistance to the director. Mr. Stines responded that he interpreted (d) as the work that the Board does through the planning and budget processes, and the Bylaws. Dr. Scheuerle stated that he also would include that if the members of the Board see something in the library that they would meet with the director to discuss it.

    The next Policies and Bylaws Committee meeting is scheduled for March 28, 2002, 2:30 p.m. at the John F. Germany Library.

    INTERNET USE SUBCOMMITTEE:

    None.

    SCHEDULING ADHOC COMMITTEE:

    None.

    PUBLIC ART:

    None.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

None.

NEW BUSINESS:

Dr. Scheuerle stated that the Department of State, Division of Library Information Services is sponsoring a series of focus groups throughout the state to receive input to help create a long-range plan for library development in Florida. He encouraged all Board members to attend the session on March 4 at the New Tampa Regional Library from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Dr. Scheuerle then stated that in the Board's packet was a copy of a letter from Claire Cardina, President of the Friends, recommending that the art gallery in the John F. Germany Library be named the Arnold and Louise Kotler Art Gallery. Also, several letters and e-mails have been received regarding the naming of the South Brandon Library. He will send letters stating that these matters have been forwarded to the Policy and Bylaws Committee for consideration.

Ms. Swisshelm stated that the Lutz Branch Library now has a Friends Group and will have their first meeting on March 5 at the Lutz Library at 7:00 p.m., Joe Stines will be the guest speaker. Ms. Swisshelm sent an invitation to Commissioner Norman.

Dr. Alma Hires stated that last Saturday, she visited the Ybor Library with a group of young girls from her church. She stated that the Librarian, Carolyn Dial was very helpful came in during her off-hours to meet with them, and was very gracious.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT:

Mr. Stines reported that he would be attending the next Budget Committee meeting to formally introduce the Program Based Budget process.

West Tampa Branch Library: The repointing and brickwork continues. We are trying to continue the work on the building without closing the library. We have received another Preservation Grant. Jackie Zebos and Linda Gillon went to Tallahassee and presented the grant proposal. This provides us with funds to restore the windows.

The Co-op plans to apply for at least three LSTA grants for funding in 2003. In addition, we have been approached by Sharon Miller, from H.C.C. to partner on a grant that will load basic language and math skills software onto our computers in Ybor and schedule some of their volunteer teachers there. The School Board would like to do something similar to what we have done with the e-libraries for the Boys and Girls Clubs.

The Cultural District: Various Board members of the History Center, Pat Bean, Joe Stines, and Swati Bose, met with Mayor Greco and saw design models by architect, Rafael Vinoy. The entire design of the Cultural District has changed. Parking is still an issue.

Operating hours have been reduced at Port Tampa and Charles J. Fendig branches. Copies of the new hours were distributed to Board members.

Mr. Stines, David Wullschleger, and Israel Grajales had a productive meeting with the Friends of the Upper Tampa Bay Library. The closing on the Countryway property is scheduled for the end of March.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

None.

ADJOURNMENT:

Ms. Swisshelm made the motion to adjourn. Dr. Hires seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 5:50pm.

Next Library Board Meeting:
         Date: March 28, 2002
         Time: 4pm-6pm
         Location: John F. Germany Public Library

                 - Unless notified otherwise


Hillsborough County Comments | Contact Us | THPL.org | HCPLC.org
© Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Member: Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative


Site established: March 15, 1995  |  Page revised: June 30, 2014