James Johnson, Jr., Chair
 
900 North Ashley Drive
Tampa, Florida 33602
James Martin, Jr., Vice-Chair
William Scheuerle, Secretary
 
Phone: (813) 273-3660
Fax: (813) 273-3707

Tampa-Hillsborough Public Library Board

MINUTES FROM THE SEPTEMBER 25, 2003 PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
JOHN F. GERMANY PUBLIC LIBRARY, 4-6PM

CALL TO ORDER:

Ms. Vickers called the meeting to order. A quorum was present.

ROLL CALL AND ATTENDANCE OF STAFF & SPECIAL GUESTS:

Library Board Members Present:
Helen Swisshelm, Alma Hires
Kay O'Rourke, Ted Corwin
Sandra Cameron, James Harkins
Laura Vickers, Jim Johnson
James Martin, William Scheuerle
Margaret Fisher
Library Board Excused:
Dora Reeder



Library Staff Present:
Joe Stines, Director, Library Services
Linda Gillon, Manager, Programming & User Services
David Wullschleger, Manager, Operations & Technology
Marcee Challener, Manager, Materials & Circulation Services
Linda Davidson, Assistant County Attorney

Gina Dubois, Grants
Nancy Becker, Administrative Services Librarian
Jean Peters, Chief Librarian
Suzy George, Chief Librarian
Barbara Marquette, Administrative Assistant
 

Special Guests:

None.

Members of the Public:

Fred Hearns
Maureen Gauzza
Mary Allen
Jane Cropsey

APPROVAL OF THE August 28, 2003 MINUTES

Mrs. Swisshelm moved that the minutes be approved with corrections. Mr. Harkins seconded. The minutes were approved.

CHAIRMAN'S REPORT

None.

PRESENTATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC/SPECIAL GUESTS:

Mr. Fred Hearns, representing the Ada T. Payne Friends of the Urban Libraries, stated that they have fifty paid members. At their last meeting they drafted by-laws for the Friends. Mr. Hearns attended the Broward County African-American Research Library and Cultural Center Friends annual fundraiser and the Ada T. Payne Friends are planning a trip to Ft. Lauderdale on October 18th to tour the facility and attend a play. They plan on following some of the fundraising activities that Broward County has used. Anyone interested in joining them should contact Carrie Hurst at the Ybor Branch Public Library. The Central Avenue Oral History project is progressing; eighteen interviews have been conducted.

Mrs. Maureen Gauzza, representing the Upper Tampa Bay Friends of the Library, stated that the Public Art Committee has contacted them for a Library Board representative. A fundraiser is planned for December 5th sponsored by Aston Gardens and the Grapevine will be hosting a wine tasting, also planned is a silent auction.

Mr. Stines stated that Jan Stein of the Public Art Committee has requested a Library Board representative for Upper Tampa and the South Brandon Public Libraries. Dr. Scheuerle will represent South Brandon, Mrs. O'Rourke will represent Upper Tampa Bay, and Mrs. Swisshelm will represent the Lutz Public Library.

Ms. Mary Allen, representing the North Tampa Friends of the Library, stated that the North Tampa Friends are in favor of moving the North Tampa Library to the Florida Avenue location. They have been advised that the free standing building is available in what used to be Floriland Mall. Their annual book sale is scheduled to run from October 3 through October 5.

Ms. Jane Cropsey, representing the North Tampa Friends of the Library stated that the free standing property at Floriland seems to fill every requirement that they have and the location is a little further east which makes it better for the eastern part of the district.

Chair Laura Vickers asked for a change in the order of business. Mr. Harkins made a motion to change the order of business. Mr. Corwin seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Mrs. Vickers announced a change to the Planning Committee. Mrs. O'Rourke and Mrs. Cameron will co-chair the committee.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    NOMINATING COMMITTEE:

    None.

    PLANNING COMMITTEE:

    Co-Chair Sandra Cameron reported that the committee met on September 18, 2003 and a quorum was not present. The Friends of the North Tampa Public Library supported the Florida Avenue site.

    Mr. Stines announced that County Administrator Dan Kleman has appointed him as Interim Assistant County Administrator for Human Services. This assignment may run through January. Marcee Challener will be Interim Director of Libraries.

    Mr. Stines reported on the Master Plan. Michael English, WilsonMiller, is finished with his consulting work. Mr. Kleman raised the concern that it would not be wise to present the Master Plan to the BOCC without a complete financial plan accompanying it. Management and Budget Director, Eric Johnson will complete an in-depth financial analysis which will include an update of the Library's proforma. Mr. Kleman will ask the BOCC to schedule a workshop for late January. The Planning Committee and the Library Board will have to set priorities based on the current population as well as the projected population. The Committee may want to formalize the principles sited in the Master Plan i.e. pursue land, expansion of existing buildings and applying these to each zone to set priorities. Michael English suggested some priorities in each of the zones. This should be done before the BOCC workshop in January.

    The BOCC has requested that Mr. Stines report on Turkey Creek at the November 5th BOCC meeting.

    Mr. Stines stated that the Water Department is holding surplus property that would be suitable for the Seffner Mango Library.

    Mr. Stines will be meeting with Real Estate Director Mike Kelly, regarding the offer from Floriland Mall for the relocation of the North Tampa Library. The Building Management would build to suit making 20,000 sq. ft. available. This long term lease would be an operating cost. Mr. Stines stated that the Board should request Eric Johnson make a presentation on the financial part of the plan.

    Dr. Scheuerle asked whether the building would revert to the City if the library were relocated. Mr. Stines will be recommending in the future that the Board allow him to move other library services be to this location. Dr. Scheuerle requested that Ms. Davidson review the contract and report back at the next meeting.

    Mrs. Swisshelm asked whether the $801,000 CIT funds would remain in the Library's budget. Mr. Stines responded that Eric Johnson would have to answer that question. However, if we used the building for other library services that money could be used for repairs or modifications to the building. Ms. Cameron made the motion that a letter be drafted for signature by the Board Chairman addressed to Eric Johnson requesting information on using the $801,000 CIT funds for other purposes. Dr. Fisher seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Marcee Challener and David Wullschleger will draft the letter. The next meeting will be on October 16 at 2:00 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library.

    BUDGET COMMITTEE:

    Chair, William Scheuerle reported that the committee met on September 18, 2003 however, a quorum was not present. Mr. Stines stated that there will be two follow-up reports for September, the last will show actual expenditures through September and final expenditures for FY 02-03. The Board of County Commissioners has approved the FY04 and have given a tentative approval of the FY 05 budgets. The next meeting is scheduled for October 16 at 1:30 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library.

    POLICIES & BYLAWS COMMITTEE:

    Chair Alma Hires stated that the committee met preceding this meeting and discussed the renaming of libraries. After much discussion is was decided by the committee that they needed more information. The Committee is requesting the Mr. Fred Hearns, Ada T. Payne Friends of the Urban Libraries, submit in writing the oral report that was given to the Friends in favor of renaming the Ybor Library in honor of Mr. Bob Saunders. Also, they would like to have in writing any contributions that Mr. Saunders may have made to the Harlem Branch Library or to the Ybor Library. The Committee will request similar written information regarding Mr. Mathew Gregory. Dr. Scheuerle made the motion that Mr. Hearns submit this information to the Policy and Bylaws Committee and that the Library Board give authority to the Policy and Bylaws Committee to make the final recommendation from the Library Board to the Board of County Commissioners. Assistant County Attorney, Linda Davidson stated that the Board could not delegate that authority to the Committee. Dr. Hires made the motion that the Library Board accept the renaming of the Ybor Branch Library to Robert Saunders Public Library contingent upon receiving the requested information from Mr. Hearns to the Policy and Bylaws Committee. Mr. Harkins seconded. The motion passed unanimously. The next meeting is scheduled for October 23 at 2:30 p.m. at the College Hill Public Library.

    INTERNET USE SUBCOMMITTEE:

    None.

    SCHEDULING ADHOC COMMITTEE:

    None.

    PUBLIC ART:

    None.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

None.

NEW BUSINESS:

None.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT:

Mr. Stines stated that a statistics report was not distributed this month because of the limitations of the basic Horizon software. The migration to Horizon was very successful but the statistical reporting is not stable at this time.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Budget/Planning Committee Thursday, October 16, 2003- 1:30 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library

Policy & Bylaws Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 4:00 p.m. at the College Hill Public Library

Library Board Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 4:00 p.m. at the College Hill Public Library

ADJOURNMENT:

The meeting was adjourned at 5:40pm.

Next Library Board Meeting:
         Date: October 23, 2003
         Time: 4pm-6pm
         Location: College Hill Public Library

                 - Unless notified otherwise


Hillsborough County Comments | Contact Us | THPL.org | HCPLC.org
© Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Member: Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative


Site established: March 15, 1995  |  Page revised: June 30, 2014