James Johnson, Jr., Chair
 
900 North Ashley Drive
Tampa, Florida 33602
James Martin, Jr., Vice-Chair
William Scheuerle, Secretary
 
Phone: (813) 273-3660
Fax: (813) 273-3707

Tampa-Hillsborough Public Library Board

MINUTES FROM THE JANUARY 27, 2OO5 PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
AUSTIN DAVIS PUBLIC LIBRARY, 4-6PM

CALL TO ORDER:

Ms. Vickers called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. A quorum was present.

ROLL CALL AND ATTENDANCE OF STAFF & SPECIAL GUESTS:

Library Board Members Present:
Laura Vickers, Dora Reeder,
Ted Corwin, William Scheuerle,
Jim Johnson, Kay O'Rourke,
Helen Swisshelm, and James Harkins
Library Board Excused:
Alma Hires, James Martin,
Sandra Cameron and Margaret Fisher

Library Staff Present:
Joe Stines, Director, Library Services
Linda Gillon, Manager, Programming
David Wullschleger, Manager, Operations
Suzy George, Chief Librarian

Gina DuBois, Administrative Services & Grants;
Aracelis Putnam, Administrative Assistant;
Barbara Marquette, Senior Executive Secretary;
Linda Davidson, Assistant County Attorney
 

Ms. Vickers called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. A quorum was present.

Special Guests:

Jim Holland, Real Estate Department Land Agent.

Members of the Public:

Maureen Gauzza, President, Upper Tampa Bay Regional Friends of the Library, thanked the Board and stated that everyone is enjoying the new library. Public art is scheduled to be installed in June.

Bob Argus, Upper Tampa Bay Regional Friends of the Library, thanked the Board.

APPROVAL OF THE LIBRARY BOARD December 2, 2004 MINUTES

Ms. Swisshelm moved that the minutes of the December 2, 2004, Library Board meeting be approved as presented. Mr. Harkins seconded. The minutes were approved unanimously.

Mr. Stines requested a change in the order of business. Ms. Vickers made the motion to change the order of buiness. Mr. Harkins seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

PRESENTATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC/SPECIAL GUESTS:

Real Estate Department Land Agent, Jim Holland reported on the options for the Riverview Library parking. Mr. Stines stated that we have not sent a letter to the Riverview Friends since we did not have any information until today. Mr. Holland stated that he had prepared four options for the Library board to consider.

    1. a) Utilize landscaping area to increase 4-7 parking spaces. Additional parking spaces may be available on the North and West sides of the library. Estimated cost $5,000 - $15,000.

    1. b) Additional spaces may be available on the east side of the library if the right-of-way is vacated. This could add an additional 20-40 feet which would provide additional drive and/or parking spaces. Mr. Holland will pursue that process. Estimated cost $5,00 -$15,000.

    1. c) Employees park at Stower's Funeral Home Stower's has given permission for temporary parking at the funeral home for library employees and patrons. No immediate limitations on parking were mentioned as long as it did not interfere with their funeral services.

    2. Install a crosswalk with pedestrian light from Stower's Funeral Home to the Riverview Library entrance. Herb Popple with Stower's was contacted and although he is currently willing to let patrons or employees utilize the property. He would not agree to a License Agreement between the County and Stower's or commit to a long or short term agreement. An agreement would justify the cost to install a pedestrian crosswalk but without an agreement there would be no guarantee Stower's would continue to let patrons park on their property. Estimated cost $100,000.

    3. Purchase 1.3 acres to the east of the library at 10513 Moody Drive. The Real Estate Department has tried to contact the owner, Dorothy Bridges, for over a year by telephone, letters and personal visits to no avail. Based on information obtained from library staff the property is or was in probate and the siblings are involved in a transfer of title. The purchase of this parcel would be the best alternative but there is no indication that the property will become available in the near future.

    4. Purchase .43 acres just south of the library at 10512 Moody Drive (the property is zoned RSC6 which is residential, single dwelling, conventional, no mobile home). The owner, Michelle Bobo, was contacted on January 26, 2005 and a purchase was discussed. Ms. Bobo expressed an interest in selling and would like to determine a sales price. Mr. Holland told her the County could only pay the appraised value of the property and would have an appraisal done to determine a sales price. Ms. Bobo agreed and will wait until the County contacts her to move forward. If a decision is made to pursue this option the following cost estimates need to be considered. Thie would provide approximately 25 - 30 spaces.


    Purchase price of the property (assessed value $95,294)

    $100,000-$150,000
    Estimated cost to demolish the structure $ 10,000 - $ 15,000
    Estimated cost to grade and install/strip parking lot $ 60,000 - $ 80,000
    engineering
    $10,000
    clear land
    $25,000
    land preparation
    $20,000
    architectural and permitting
    $15,000
    Estimated cost to build wood bridge (35' x 6') to library rear entrance $ 20,000 - $ 40,000
    Total cost estimate for Option 4 $190,000-$285,000
    Note: all estimates are based on discussions with the Real Estate Department's R#M cost estimator who provided his best estimate based on his knowledge of prior projects and are not guaranteed until actual bid proposals are acquired.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

BUDGET COMMITTEE: Chair, Bill Scheuerle stated that the meeting was combined with the Planning Committee. Mr. Stines distributed copies of the FY06-07 Budget Calendar. Dr. Scheuerle stated that the budget must be submitted by March 4th. Two Budget Committee meetings have been scheduled for February, Thursday, February 10 at 3:00 p.m. at the John F. Germany Library and the second on February 24 at 2:30.
A FY05 maintenance project list was distributed. Mr. Stines stated that all the monies come from the Library Taxing District but it is earmarked in two ways. 1) Projects designated R3M are paid for through the general Fund which takes one percont of its balance for maintenance projects. These projects are overseen by the Facilities Department. 2) The other projects are covered by the Library budget's maintenance line item. The FY06 and 07 maintenance list is being propared as a portion of the budget process for the Board's review.

Each department has been asked to cut three percent of their budget in efficiencies but not cut services. Three percent of the Library's operating budget is over one million dollars. In the past we have reduced security, this has become a very expensive piece of our operation, but due to a few serious issues we wouldn't want to do that. We have also reduced the book budget in the past however; some of the collections are becoming worn and need to be replaced if anything we need to increase this line item. Maintenance is another area that could be cut. When you cut in these areas you're not cutting services but you are reducing the quality of services. Eric Johnson is coming on February 10th to discuss the proforma and long range revenue. We need more staff, there may be a way to reassign Principal Librarians from within the system and replace them with Senior Librarians. This would decrease salary costs. Ms. Swisshelm asked for an organization chart identifying the staff levels. She stated that she was not questioning the structure just the terminology.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: None

PLANNING COMMITTEE: Co-Chairs, Sandra Cameron and Kay O'Rourke were not present at the committee meeting. Mr. Johnson reported that there was not a quorum so the minutes were not approved. The Captial Facilities Master Plan - Planning Area Analysis, the ranking of projects to meet the State's .6 square feet per capita goal was discussed.

Mr. Stines distributed a draft of the amended Guiding Principles that were in the November 2 meeting minutes as well as a copy of a Tampa Tribune article by Kathy Steele about Turkey Creek. Mr. Stines met with Ms. Steele where he discussed the complexity of Turkey Creek after the article was written. He assured Ms. Steele that the Turkey Creek project was still under discussion especially in view of the annexation planned by Plant City. At the November 2nd meeting the Guiding Principles were developed to assist the Committee in ranking projects. Members were asked to send in their input and examples of branches were discussed. Mr. Stines added the seventh criteria and will ask the Committee to approve it. At the meeting Mr. Wullschleger presented a list of the planning zones that are included in the Master Plan. The zones were ranked according to square foot per capita. There were three in the urban area and four and five were rural areas that also fell into that category but had very little population. The other planning areas either meet the standard or are above it. It was Mr. Stines' suggestion that the Planning Committee consider ranking the top project within each of the planning areas that was below the standard.

Mr. Johnson stated that it was the consensus of the members present that the projects be ranked as follows: Central Tampa - Sulphur Springs; North Urban - University Area; East Urban - Seffner Mango; South Rural - land in the Wimauma area; and East Rural - an undetermined location this is where Turkey Creek falls. These projects were than ranked as follows: East Urban - Sefner Mango, Central Tampa - Sulphur Springs, North Urban - University Area, East Rural - an undetermined location, and South Rural - land in the Wimauma area.

Mr. Harkins stated that it was also the consensus of those present that Sulphur Springs and the University Area be contingent on a school partnership. Mr. Stines stated that this would be based on the Egypt Lake model which would mean that the cost of the building and operating that project would be much less. Mr. Stines and Mr. Wullschleger have met with the School Board and they are very interested in a partnership in Sulphur Springs. He hopes to have a more detailed report for the Planning Committee on February 22nd.

Seffner Mango would be a stand alone. Commissioner Hagan feels very strongly about funding Seffner Mango. North Tampa is partially funded in the Capital Improvement Project budget and the land has been added and the Budget Department has assured him that funding will be available.

Ms. Swisshelm expressed concern that in the draft of the Guiding Principles Mr. Stines distributed, #5 did not include Bloomingdale, New Tampa Regional and Jimme B. Keel Regional libraries. Dr. Scheuerle asked that all the examples be removed. Mr. Stines stated that this was not a list of projects but a list of the Guiding Principles. Mr. Stines stated that he thought Ms. Cameron had asked for them since she was worried that if the only criteria used was the volumes per capita and the square feet per capita that the human element would be overlooked. Mr. Stines suggested reformatting the information into a matrix showing all areas.

Mr. Stines asked that the members of the Library Board attend as many of the committee meetings as they could. He stressed that the upcoming committee meetings through March 4th are the most important of the year. The next meeting of the Planning Committee is February 22, at noon at the John F. Germany Library. Lunch will be provided.

Mr. Johnson asked for any updated information that might be available regarding Turkey Creek at the next meeting. Mr. Stines stated that he discussed this issue with Ms. Steele. This issue grows more complex; the Library Board authorized staff to conduct a structural study. Mr. Stines would like the School Board to explain why the School Board does not want to co-locate their school library with us. Now that the annexation projections are out, will there be enough land available. Dr. Scheuerle asked for information regarding the grants that Dana Welch keeps referring to. Mr. Stines stated that staff would research and ask the State Library.

Mr. Harkins asked whether it wouldn't be prudent to meet with the Turkey Creek supporters and create a memo of record that could be presented to the Commissioners. Mr. Stines stated that staff had prepared a one sheet summary for Commissioner Storms. In light of the discussion of annexation, an update of the Taxing District revenue needs to be done. Mr. Stines stated that he would contact Dana Welch as a follow up. He told Ms. Steele that this issue has not been ranked as an unfunded project because of the complexity, there are too many questions. It's still on the table.

POLICIES & BYLAWS COMMITTEE: No meeting was held.

INTERNET USE SUBCOMMITTEE:

None.

SCHEDULING ADHOC COMMITTEE:

None.

PUBLIC ART:

None.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

None

NEW BUSINESS: Ruskin Incorporation

Dr. Scheuerle stated that the question came up at the Friends Board meeting that Ruskin is talking about incorporation. This brings up the question of the Library. Jan Platt who is on the board of the Friends is concerned about how far along is the incorporation, how does it affect the library there. Mr. Stines distributed a fact sheet. Mr. Stines asked Assistant County Attorney, Linda Davidson to research the quote taken from the consultant's report stating that "The proposed incorporation will have no effect on those agencies with the county-wide taxing authority, as it relates to the Special Act 84-443. Does the statute allow the addition of another entity that is not mentioned without opening it? Mr. Stines stated that what he thinks Ms. Platt was suggesting that this Board consider is putting together a fact sheet with a cover letter from the Chairman that would say we feel we have a responsibility because we administer this for Hillsborough County to share this information with you. Dr. Scheuerle stated that it may be too soon to write a letter but he does think that the fact sheet should be completed and that Ms. Davidson prepare an opinion for the February 22nd Planning meeting.

Ms. Swisshelm mentioned that the Lutz Friends are hosting E. J. Salcines on February 28th at 6:00 p.m. He will be speaking about the history of Hillsborough County.

DIRECTOR'S REPORT:

Mr. Stines stated that the contract was awarded by the BOCC for the additional land for the Upper Tampa Bay Regional Library.

The Friends of the Library have made an application to serve alcohol in May. The request will be presented at the next Policy and Bylaws Committee. Ms. O'Rourke has agreed to serve as the chairperson for the Committee to dedicate the Dora Reeder Reading Room at West Tampa. Ms. Swisshelm agreed to serve with Ms. Minnie Wharton of the Ada Ta. Payne Friends. The event is tentatively scheduled for March 20th. Ms. Reeder asked that Mr. Stines include Fred Hearns. Mr. Stines will call Mr. Hearns.

Ms. Swisshelm asked for an update on the Art in Public Places. Mr. Stines will contact Jan Stein.

Mr. Stines reminded the Board that Ms. Platt could not attend today, but she will be at the February 24 Library Board meeting to accept her portrait and the resolution the Board wrote.

Barbara Marquette will contact the Policy and Bylaws Committee to schedule a meeting in February.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Budget - Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 3:00 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library
Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 2:30 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library

Planning - Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:00 noon at the John F. Germany Public Library (lunch will be provided)

Policy & Bylaws - Monday, February 14, 2005 3:00 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library

Library Board - Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 4:00 p.m. at the John F. Germany Public Library

ADJOURNMENT:

The meeting was adjourned at 5:50pm.

Next Library Board Meeting:
         Date: March 24, 2005
         Time: 4pm-6pm
         Location: Upper Tampa Bay Regional Library

                 - Unless notified otherwise


Hillsborough County Comments | Contact Us | THPL.org | HCPLC.org
© Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Member: Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative


Site established: March 15, 1995  |  Page revised: June 30, 2014